What I’ve really got to watch out for this time of year is pie. I can’t get enough of those crumbly carbs that act as carriers for warm holiday spices. Since the holiday season has barely begun, I need something to give me all the satisfaction of apple pie with none of the guilt. And this smoothie is just the thing.
The dates in this recipe provide a caramel flavour that comes with only the best apple pies—those that are cooked until the sugar filling starts to brown around the edges—while the coconut milk provides just enough richness to make you forget all about that flaky, buttery crust.
Apple Pie in a Glass (Vegan/GF)
- 6 dates – soaked in warm water for at least an hour
- 1 apple (something on the sweeter side like a Royal Gala), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup almond milk or other milk substitute
- 3 tbls spoon coconut milk.
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp natural vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 ice cubes
Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until creamy.